Kirklees Big Band Festival is a Big Hit!
Musica Kirklees's first ever Big Band Festival took place on May 11 at Shelley College. Almost 5 hours of incredible music-making proved a real treat for the audience, performers and adjudicators.
Big bands from Musica Kirklees' centres and Musica Youth Jazz (led by Mr Kingham, Musica Kirklees Area Manager) were joined for the festival by Greenhead College Big Band (led by Mr Dolling, Musica Kirklees Assistant Principal) and performers from Leeds College of Music.
Adjudicators from the world of jazz were on hand to offer feedback for all performers; Barney Stevenson, Artistic Director of Marsden Jazz Festival and Jamil Sheriff, Curriculum Leader for Jazz at Leeds College of Music, provided each group with a detailed evaluation of their performance and prizes were awarded accordingly:
- Best soloist - Musica Mirfield Swing Band
- Best saxophone section - Musica Youth Jazz
- Best trombone section - Musica Holme Valley Big Band
- Best trumpet section - Musica Shelley Big Band
- Best rhythm section - Musica Colne Valley Big Band
- Best programme - Musica Shelley Swing Band
- Best individual contribution to their band - Greenhead College Big Band
- Best improvised solo - Musica Youth Jazz
- Most professional performance - Greenhead College Big Band
Special mention goes to Musica Batley Jazz Bats, a group who formed especially for the festival and who were there to welcome the audience as they arrived at the venue.
A huge congratulations and thanks go to all the performers, organisers, teachers, adjudicators, volunteers and parents/carers who helped to make the event such a great success.
If you would like any more information about the event or joining one of the big bands/Musica Youth Jazz, please contact Mr Kingham - email@example.com