About Musica Kirklees
Kirklees Music School, trading as Musica Kirklees, is an independent organisation, a registered charity (no. 1013838) and company limited by guarantee (no. 2737172), which exists to promote the advancement of public education in all aspects of music. It was formed in 1992 as an alternative to a music service fully funded by Kirklees Council. The organisation works closely in partnership with KC Children and Young People’s Service and Musica Kirklees is the preferred provider of music services for the district – in schools, at central classes and ensembles at the five Musica Centres throughout Kirklees.
Musica Kirklees delivers tuition to over 5000 pupils in Kirklees through Whole Class Ensemble Tuition and a further 2400 pupils in small group instrumental tuition. Twice a year our teachers form recital or #LearnToPlay demo groups and give live performances in schools, bringing live music to a further 6000 pupils.
Musica Kirklees has over 70 members of staff, most performing a mainly teaching function, with a small administrative team based at the offices in Beast Market, Huddersfield.
The management is headed by the Principal (Thom Meredith) with Vice Principal (Peter McHugh) and Assistant Principal (Nick Dolling), supported by five Area Managers and the administrative team. They are backed by the Board of Directors, comprising a mix of representatives from local life including Councillors and parent representatives.
Musica Kirklees aims to provide the highest quality music education for all. We aim to do this by:
- Providing enjoyable musical experiences delivered by a team of dedicated, qualified and skilled staff
- Identifying and nurturing talent to enable pupils to develop a love of music
- Welcoming participation in a wide range of rehearsal and performance opportunities
- Encouraging artistic and intellectual growth of the individual as part of lifelong learning
- Realising potential through success and achievement at all levels
- Fostering self-esteem, self-discipline and social integration
- Providing partnerships and other positive links with schools and the community
- Promoting high profile musical activity within Kirklees, nationally and internationally
Groups from our Musica Centres and Central Ensembles have enjoyed great success at both regional and national level and we have been very well represented at the National Festival of Music for Youth for many years – we place great importance on the social and emotional benefits that involvement with music can bring.